A protruding abdomen is a “trouble spot” for many, whether the result of genetics, pregnancy, surgery, weight fluctuations or aging. If you have a belly pooch that just won’t budge, despite a healthy diet and exercise regimen, don’t blame yourself. There is only so much a person can do to control a tricky area like the belly. For this reason, board-certified plastic surgeons Drs. Baum and Deboni perform expert tummy tucks at CNY Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery to help you regain your confidence and enjoy a firm, flat abdomen and sculpted waistline.
Here’s how a tummy tuck works
● A tummy tuck removes excess skin and fat on the abdomen and may also help repair stretched or separated abdominal muscles, a common side effect of pregnancy.
● Depending on the amount of loose skin you have and whether you have separated abdominal muscles, you may need either a full tummy tuck or a mini-abdominoplasty.
● Full tummy tucks can be done to correct separated abdominal muscles in addition to removing and tightening loose and excess skin. They involve making a large incision that spans from hip to hip across your lower abdomen, just above your pubic bone. Don’t worry, we’ll be extra careful to place the incision discreetly in an area that can be covered by most bathing suits and underwear.
● A mini tummy tuck is suitable for patients whose abdominal muscles have not separated and have only minimal sagging or loose skin. This incision is not as extensive and will involve a shorter recovery period.
Your recovery from a tummy tuck
● Tummy tucks are usually performed as an outpatient procedure using general anesthesia. While most patients go home the day of their surgery, you will need to arrange to have someone drive you home.
● We will place one or more surgical drains to prevent fluid buildup in the treated area, which we will usually remove in two to three weeks.
● You will need to wear a compression garment or abdominal binder for the first few weeks to encourage proper healing.
● You should be able to return to light activity within about seven to 14 days and can return to work in three to four weeks. You can usually resume vigorous exercise after about six weeks.
See our tummy tuck before and after pictures to get a better idea of the results you can expect! Tummy tuck/abdominoplasty is not a weight loss procedure or substitute for a healthy lifestyle. If you are generally satisfied with your overall weight and wish to regain a firmer, flatter abdomen and more defined waist, a tummy tuck may be just the procedure for you.
To learn more about tummy tuck/abdominoplasty and discover if you are a good candidate, feel free to call us at (315) 663-0112 or fill out our consultation request form today. We cannot wait to help you love your tummy again!